May 13, 2009

Baby Shower Anyone?

When I left Costa Rica it seemed like everyone with the IMB was getting pregnant ( well ones that had that possibility). So, when I got to Argentina I thought things would be different. Well, things are a little different it's not the missionaries who are pregnant but the ladies of the churches. So, my first cultural event this week was the first ever baby shower or "te de canasta" in Maria's church. The event was in honor of Carol, a lady who works with a project that educates and feeds needy kids, "El Comedor". The funniest thing for me was how the event was no different then going to someones home here in Santiago and visiting, mate was passed around facturas ( danishes) were on the table, no games ( no clothes pins, no counting toilet paper squares) were played and at the end gifts were opened before people left. Also, no big gifts were given, clothes, some diapers, and shoes. I had a good time and we have already talked about the next one coming up in November and how I can help make it more like a "real Baby Shower" they say! If you have any ideas, let me know!

1 comments:

Emily Mitten said...

Muy interesante! Emily

Who is a missionary?

We are all missionaries, we just have different fields of service. What is yours? I am an international missionary, I get to meet people of all different nationalities and become friends with them, you can too. No matter where you live or what you do our world is very diverse and there are people who need Jesus all around us, reach out to them!